It's Friday night. It's been a frustrating week. I wanted to update throughout the week but as I don't have internet at home, I've been just writing when I can, and uploading when I have wifi.
So much has happened, I'm just going to compile into a positive and negative list.
So much has happened, I'm just going to compile into a positive and negative list.
Negatives: Caden's bed is so hard that Jolene has been using it as an ironing board. The kitchen in my apartment is about the same size as a closet. Mick, my neighbor, and coworker, has a bigger kitchen (the one in the pictures the school sent me) and he confessed to me that he only uses it to boil coffee. I love to cook and wish I could switch kitchens with him. The oven is gas and has to be lit with each use. I'll probably lose some eyebrows at some point.
I was hoping the school would sort of be my sanctuary, but the jury is still out. Turns out, most of the teachers barely speak English. The staff meeting was in Spanish with some translation, but the Mexican teachers talk to each other during the translation so it's hard to focus. I left it, in a ball of frustration. Today, all the teachers visited the ms and hs classrooms, so we could observe how they function in a classroom, but the majority of the presentations were in Spanish, so it was basically pointless, for me. I have no supplies for my classroom and I have to get permission and 48 hours notice to print anything. The library at the school is, without a doubt, the shittiest library I've ever seen. I made a list of about a 100 high interest novels for young adults, and am hoping we can order every one of them. The kids are very excited about the books; I hope I can make it happen. Things at the school seem very unorganized and chaotic. I'm used to more structure. Granted, had I arrived on time, I'd have a better idea of how things work, as I'd been here for new teacher orientation. My nose ring was nixed, but I sort of expected that.
My phone stopped working after two days. Facetime with Matt and Cory drained it, completely. Also, everything is very, very expensive. I need lamps, a few blankets, some pots, pans, and kitchen gadgets. I'm dying for good coffee creamer. I'm constantly terrified that someone is going to pull up beside me on my walk to work and throw me in a van and kidnap me. Not because anyone has really looked like they wanted to, but because of all the things everyone has said to me about moving here.
I hate being so damn dependent on everyone. I'm used to doing my own thing, and not needing help, so depending on other people for EVERYTHING, is driving me up the wall. Caden has had a meltdown every morning, before school, and I have meltdowns in the evenings, after we get home.
I didn't bring enough clothes. At all.
We get a week off for Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas, and two weeks at Easter. But, it looks like we will be staying here, because round trip tickets for two are exhorbiant, especially around the holidays.
I hate being so damn dependent on everyone. I'm used to doing my own thing, and not needing help, so depending on other people for EVERYTHING, is driving me up the wall. Caden has had a meltdown every morning, before school, and I have meltdowns in the evenings, after we get home.
I didn't bring enough clothes. At all.
We get a week off for Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas, and two weeks at Easter. But, it looks like we will be staying here, because round trip tickets for two are exhorbiant, especially around the holidays.
The kids seem to be wonderful, thus far, and really interested in learning. I think that I'm going to enjoy the freedom to a be a little more creative in the classroom, and not have to stay within a box structured by higher ups and standardized testing. The school building itself is beautiful, and the new director seems to be very passionate about turning the school around, and into a legitimate American school.
Jolene is an absolute godsend. Just having someone here who really knows me, and I can be myself around, at the end of the day, is priceless. She has been cleaning the apartment and she fashioned a clothes line for me on the roof. It's almost comical, her cleaning. She mops the floors every day. And at the end of the day, if you walk barefoot, your feet still turn black. We think it's because of the lack of humidity here; the dust and dirt just swirl through the air, with nothing to hold it down. The weather here is phenomenal. As is the people watching. She made us our first dinner tonight, after Pearl came over and showed us how to light the oven.
| Grilled chicken with tomatoes and onion, macaroni and cheese, and cantaloupe |
The architecture here is magnificent. Everytime we go for a walk, we find something new.
There are other good things about this experience, but as is life, I tend to focus on the negative.
I'm excited that I don't have to buy an ironing board.
Okay. Well. That about sums up my week. Tomorrow, we are going on a city walk with some of the other teachers to see different parts of the city and learn some of the history. Sunday will probably be spent preparing for the rest of the week. I found a copy shop where I'll probably go to make my copies. That's what Mick does. I'm used to be being able to go up to the school on the weekends, plan, and make my copies for the week. That's all locked up here, so I'm going to have to adjust.
First off, I must applaud you for deciding to move to a foreign land on your own, ( except for little man of course). That takes a lot of guts and courage. I know just from living in Brownsville how awkward and frustrating it can be to not know the language and customs 100%. But, once you settle in a bit more, it will get easier and you'll learn some Spanish phrases and words to help you get by. The good thing is you already know a little bit from living in Texas! :-)
ReplyDeleteYour apt looks really cute and spacious and I LOVE that you have a rooftop to enjoy. That seems right up your alley. I bet it will look even cuter once you decorate it and make it your own. ;-)
Keep your chin up friend and try not to get discouraged. Seems like you have a lot of nice people there who've got your back.
Adios amiga!
Kristin
Hola roomie! Thanks for reading and responding! Every day seems to get a little easier, and I'm learning the language, bit by bit. And my apartment is cute, for sure. Just need to get it decorated so it feels like home.
DeleteIt breaks my heart to hear that you are having difficult times. I will keep you in my prayers. Do you think we could send you books? I have several current books that we just have in boxes. We could pick out the "good ones" and do a "save Ms. Stallings' Library" fundraiser. Lets send books to Mexico. Could they be English books? What you are doing is a once in a lifetime experience and you are one brave chic that I am proud to call you my friend.
ReplyDeleteMy tumor has began to grow again and I am at odds about what to do. I have changed to eating only greens, vegetables and nuts. NO SUGAR. Basically, I am trying to starve the tumor. Again this year, I am known as the snack lady but I sure miss your young man coming in and telling me about his day. I have signed up to follow you by email so let me know if there is anything I can send you. I don't know how much $20.00 converts to Mexican money but I bet I could get several go in with me where you could at least get some pots and pans so you can go back to cooking gourmet meals. I love you and Caden and wish you well. If there is anything I can do to help, please do not hesitate one second to ask.
Be safe, Take Care, and God Bless you!!
Leddie McDonnell
Leddie; I'm just complaining because I'm bored! Today was an excellent day, and the kids are amazing, so it makes things like a hard bed or a small kitchen seem stupid, in hindsight.
DeleteStarve that stupid tumor.
PS- your cancer makes me feel like a giant ass for complaining about anything, ever. Love you.
I hope you are kidding about the kidnapping thing! I cant imagine why anyone would make something like that up and tell it to you. Two or three years ago the drug cartel was threatening to kill mexican students and teachers if a ransom was not paid. That didnt work out very well for them because the teachers union in mexico just went on strike and shut down most of the schools for several weeks. Apparently it was not one of the cartels most well thought out money making plans. Mostly (just like the gang wars in the US) they just kill each other.
ReplyDeleteEverything will be fine. People love to help each other. Its what gives most of us a sense of purpose in life. Don't screw with someones sense of purpose and don't wear masscarra while lighting a gas anything. For some reason it makes your eyelashes melt easier. Maybe you should ask Jolene to stay a extra couple of weeks. By then Caden will be able to translate anything you dont understand. WTF! A HUGE spider just walked across my bed! Love to you and Caden please let me know if I can do anything. I have to find that spider or ill be awake all night.
your mother, Elizabeth
You will not lose your eyebrows if you always light the match before you turn the gas on, have spares very close and handy. :)
ReplyDeleteDPH