Sunday, September 29, 2013

Holiday cheer

We were originally not coming home for any holidays because the cost of tickets when buying for two is just a bit much on the pesos I make. Or what anyone makes, really. My brother, Chris, who is in Afghanistan, offered to purchase Caden's ticket as he will be home at Christmas, and wants everyone there- and I think he also just felt sorry for me. I took him up on his offer. So we were planning on staying here for Thanksgiving, but the more I thought about it, the more appealing it was to figure out a way to go to Texas for Thanksgiving, as well. All of my new American teacher friends here will be out of town. And my Mexican friend's don't celebrate. And I love turkey. And the thought of making a turkey for two was slightly depressing. So, I figured out a way. (I didn't rob a bank. I'm too identifiable here.) 

We will be in Dallas Saturday, November 23rd through Saturday the 30th- and in Houston Saturday, December 21st through Saturday, January 4th. I'll probably be back and forth between the two cities, depending on everyone's holiday plans. However, I did basically sell my car to my sister, so we might have to skateboard between the two cities.

Caden requested donuts and chocolate milk for breakfast this morning. Decided to walk to a different Oxxo (think 7-11) that is a bit further away, but has a bigger selection of things. Wanted to share some pictures of our walk. Today has a Seattle feel to it. Chilly. Looks like it's going to rain any minute. Have a lot to do today, including going to the grocery store. Haven't yet taken a taxi by myself, so it's time to take that step.




2 comments:

  1. It's cool you'll get to go home, I know when I was in the army it was nice to see family.

    I dig the photos. I've always thought the use of bright colors on old buildings in foreign places is an interesting phenomenon. I'm not naturally attracted to bright colors so I kind of like having it thrust upon me from outside sources. I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you stopped by!