This move has done a number on me. I have no doubt that learning the language will ease my anxiety, and I'm eager to start that process. I've already learned a tiny bit, but when I get my internet hooked up at home, hopefully the Rosetta Stone will prove itself worthy of all the hype. I think my school might offer Spanish classes, but I haven't delved into that just yet.
Meanwhile, my hair is falling out. Gross, I know. In clumps. I'm not too worried, as it's happened before, but there's an example of my body saying F everything. I've lost approximately 5-10 lbs since I've arrived here. If I stand up too quickly, I get light-headed and have to steady myself for a minute. Jolene says this is from my blood pressure being pissed off about my weight-loss.
| mmmm hair clumps |
| salsa salsa salsa |
Aaaaand, as the school warned me, my tummy is revolting against all the yummy foods that are available here. I could easily eat spicy foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner... and in Mexico, that's actually quite possible. So, I do. The combination of the spice and the different type of bacteria here has my stomach angry with me. REALLY angry with me. I can't help it though. Can't stop. Won't stop.
| tummy fixers |
This was a pretty good week. On Wednesday, we watched a film about 9-11, and then discussed how it affected not just Americans, but many nationalities. I tied it into ELA by discussing how emotions affect our writing, and how to express those emotions through words. I gave them a writing prompt, and they used descriptive writing to paint a picture with their descriptions. My 9th graders did really well with it, some writing about things so painful, a few tears were shed.
Yesterday was an interesting day. The kids came to school dressed up in traditional Mexican Independence attire. Caden did not, because the note came home in Spanish and I didn't have a chance to get it translated properly. But I did manage to get from it that he needed to bring six burritos on Friday morning, and bought those from the little shop next door to our place. We also got some gorditas from there, for dinner, and they were divine. Only our stomachs disagreed.
| I'm so glad this place is next door. |
Anyway, so every grade at the school did a little presentation yesterday, and it was pretty neat to see all the participation, and pride they have for their country. At my old school, there is no way the kids would have dressed up and participated, at least not to that degree. I took quite a few pictures on my regular camera and will upload them later this week.
After she dropped us off at the apartment, I walked down to the school for Caden's open house. I really just went so I could get him a free homework day; his teachers and I are in constant contact, anyway.
Got up this morning around 4, and met Noe, the driver for the school, outside. Jolene and Caden sat in the back, cuddling, while I sat up front with my google translate, trying to talk to Noe. He was pretty patient with my bumbling, broken, backwards Spanish.
Got her to the airport, hugged, cried, and headed back home.
Now, real life begins.
:-( I 100% feel your pain; stress has done a number on me as well. I wish I could talk to you. Just hear your voice. And your breaths. I'm praying for you guys, Elle. Lots and lots of praying. On my knees. At church. <3
ReplyDelete