Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sunday, funday?


It's about 3 in the afternoon, on Sunday.  I woke up just before 7:30 this morning, and wanted to find the coffee shop and wifi, but little man had other plans. He was sleeping hard, so I just let him. 

must-haves 
Just arrived back home from the grocery store, called Sorianos. That was definitely an experience. Quite intimidating, and crowded. I had a list of things to get, but gave up not even halfway through because I was a bit overwhelmed. Things there are not cheaper than in the United States. I downloaded a currency converter on my phone so I could compare the pesos to dollars. I got some basic, necessary things. Bought Caden some toys, which were a lot more expensive here. Got some towels and washcloths. Was very disappointed in the coffee creamer selections. There are no flavors, only plain. Also, I was really hoping to buy a swiffer because of the tiled floors throughout the apartment, but they didn't have any. I can't stand mops. Perhaps I will try the walmart, and maybe there will be some there. So enough of the negative. Lets talk about CHEESE. Holy smokes, they had an entire section of the store, it seemed like, devoted to CHEESE. Yes, please. Mmm cheeze.

Also, something different: in the meat section of the grocery store, there was a refrigerator filled with raw chicken, and people just reached in and cut off the pieces they wanted.


It was a long, sweaty walk back home, carrying our goods. But so much to see, and the people watching is divine. I'm sure they think the same thing when they see me. I did see a disheveled, homeless man, with his pants around his ankles, walking along, hopping every three steps.  The look on Caden's face was priceless. 

Anyway, home now, with our things. I plan on making a better list and going back with Jolene, when she gets here. Speaking of, she arrives tonight, late, around 11 pm. And we have school and work in the morning. 















Adios, amigos.

3 comments:

  1. So I made it through this one. Started to read the next few (or previous ones, however you wanna look at it), and, well. Holy shit. You're a writer. And clearly bored.

    I will try to read the others later. I did skim through the pictures. It seems nice there. Hold Caden tighter than normal (as I'm sure you are), because I can only imagine if you're feeling all of those emotions, it's just as bad, if not worse for him.

    Eye heart ewe. Mucho. Para Siempre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Your there. your there. Lauren you pulled it off. You should be so proud of yourself. I know I sure am...Proud of you i mean. As you get older and especially after having a child, really living your life and putting yourself and Caden into new scarey situations, is hard, but I'm positive you know its the right thing to do or you would still be on this side of the border. Exposing yourself and especially Caden to new experiences, people and cultures might be scarey for him at first but he loves and trusts you (no matter what he says) and soon he will be able to feel secure and interested in new and different situations that make most people feel uncomfortable and afraid. This will make the both of you even closer and teach Caden important lessons about people and life most children don't "get" until they are adults, if ever. Tell him his grandma says
    not to worry about the language barrier. Within a couple months he will feel like Spanish is his native language. Tell him, in the mean time, everyone understands the little boys pee pee dance. (Cup your penis through your clothing with one hand and then frantically hop from one foot to the other flailing your free hand around with a panicky look on your face) and if he does not have to pee, everyone understands a smile. All that huggy touchy stuff will also be good for the both of you. Soon that also will feel natural and it should. I love that when I meet people from other countries and talk with them even briefly about directions or something stupid, most of them will reach out and touch your hand or arm so casually. And I love how when they first meet and speak with you that they do not naturally avoid direct eye contact like most Americans do. If I were you I would not worry about your tattoos . I'm sure they are staring because they think they are beautiful and unusual. They are probably not even considering that, if they take a good long look, you might be uncomfortable. Please ask Caden what toys or electronics he is missing most and cannot find there and email it to me and I will RUN to Walmart get them for him and then RUN to the post office and mail them. Also any favorite personal items or the ever important caffeine items you like but can't find. Be specific because it wont do any good if i don't send exactly what you both want.The two of you are so lucky to have so many interesting adventures ahead of you, even tho you worked very hard to put yourselves in that position. I just know that almost all of them will be rewarding. My love to the both of you and I can't wait to read your next blog! Love from your mother Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Your there. your there. Lauren you pulled it off. You should be so proud of yourself. I know I sure am...Proud of you i mean. As you get older and especially after having a child, really living your life and putting yourself and Caden into new scarey situations, is hard, but I'm positive you know its the right thing to do or you would still be on this side of the border. Exposing yourself and especially Caden to new experiences, people and cultures might be scarey for him at first but he loves and trusts you (no matter what he says) and soon he will be able to feel secure and interested in new and different situations that make most people feel uncomfortable and afraid. This will make the both of you even closer and teach Caden important lessons about people and life most children don't "get" until they are adults, if ever. Tell him his grandma says
    not to worry about the language barrier. Within a couple months he will feel like Spanish is his native language. Tell him, in the mean time, everyone understands the little boys pee pee dance. (Cup your penis through your clothing with one hand and then frantically hop from one foot to the other flailing your free hand around with a panicky look on your face) and if he does not have to pee, everyone understands a smile. All that huggy touchy stuff will also be good for the both of you. Soon that also will feel natural and it should. I love that when I meet people from other countries and talk with them even briefly about directions or something stupid, most of them will reach out and touch your hand or arm so casually. And I love how when they first meet and speak with you that they do not naturally avoid direct eye contact like most Americans do. If I were you I would not worry about your tattoos . I'm sure they are staring because they think they are beautiful and unusual. They are probably not even considering that, if they take a good long look, you might be uncomfortable. Please ask Caden what toys or electronics he is missing most and cannot find there and email it to me and I will RUN to Walmart get them for him and then RUN to the post office and mail them. Also any favorite personal items or the ever important caffeine items you like but can't find. Be specific because it wont do any good if i don't send exactly what you both want.The two of you are so lucky to have so many interesting adventures ahead of you, even tho you worked very hard to put yourselves in that position. I just know that almost all of them will be rewarding. My love to the both of you and I can't wait to read your next blog! Love from your mother Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you stopped by!