What a day.
We were met at the airport in Durango at about 12:15 am this morning. Our flight was delayed, so we ended up hanging out in the Mexico City aeropuerto for about 7 hours. Caden is a trooper.
My director, Joseph, and a driver (I failed to catch his name in the flurry of spanish), met us at a miniature aeropuerto, and hauled our luggage out to the waiting van/bus. I was relieved to see a familiar face, even though we'd only previously communicated through Skype. (Something to get used to- greeting with a hug and kiss...and if you know me well at all, you know how much of a challenge this will be for me.)
It was about a 25 minute ride to our apartment, which is right in the center of the city. It was after midnight, and quite dark, so I didn't see much of the outside of the city on our drive in. When the bus finally stopped, I didn't even realize we were parked outside the entrance to our apartment, as it was a metal door that blended with the wall. As it was a Friday night, in a bustling little city, I saw several people walking about, either leaving bars or restaurants, or both. All I could think about was sleeping; I was exhausted.
After a short tour of our new home, Joseph and the driver left, and Caden and I were left to our own devices. The apartment is furnished, although we still need a few things. Whoever bought the bedding for Caden's room did a bang up job. It's black and blue camo, so he was overjoyed. It was nice to see a smile spread across his worn-wearied face.
We unpacked just a few necessities, pj's, toothbrushes, etc, and I forced Caden to take a shower, because, well, he was disgusting. Only…the shower didn't work. It was just a trickle of icy water. So we just sink washed, and laid in bed.
Feelings: overwhelmed, unsure and intimidated. Didn't feel very positive going to bed. But I think it was just the combination of all these emotions, exhaustion, and just not knowing what was next. Fear of the unknown has never really been a factor in my life, until I had Caden, and now, I second guess everything. I want to make sure every decision I make is ultimately in his best interest. The negativity from some people in my life about this move had really begun to affect me, I think. You could say that I wasn't as excited as I was, originally.
Anyway, we fell asleep in absolute darkness, with the sounds from the city permeating the edges of our dreams, around 2 am. Even with his tiny little arm wrapped around me, I was sick with uncertainty…and I had never felt more lonely.
| first morning, yawn |
| Little dude's closet |
| my room |
| steps to the roof |
| the courtyard, from the roof |
After Caden inhaled his cornflakes, we started unpacking our things. Didn't take long. I did find that my perfume and some joico hair oil was missing from my bag. I had carefully wrapped those in paper towels and double zip locked them, so I'm not sure why TSA would have taken them; there was no way they could have been leaking. That's frustrating. But I'll get over it. My contacts are missing, too; I had about 8 pairs.
Caden was eager to get his room in order, lining up his shoes and organizing his clothes in the built-in drawers we found in the closet. Joseph was meeting us outside at 10:30 to show us the school (a 2 minute walk from our front door) and take us to an event that the school was putting on for a cancer charity. He said it would be a good, informal way to meet some coworkers, teachers and students, and it was. After showing us the school (pictures to come later- Caden is beyond happy about the new school) we took an…interesting... cab ride to where the charity event was.
We were immediately introduced to a swarm of people, and it was hard to keep up with the flurry of Spanish. A Mexican woman came and whisked Caden away to help with the crafts, and I could tell by the look on his face that he was stricken. I had a hard time concentrating on the introductions, because I know how Caden is, and I was concerned with making sure he was okay. I caught a glimpse of him at the crafts table, with the woman, and could see that he was about to cry, so I went over to him, got his hand and we walked off for a minute. He buried his little head into me and told me he was scared. He couldn't understand anyone and it was overwhelming him. It made my heart hurt. The woman, Mrs. Betty, noticed that we walked off and quickly came over, and enveloped Caden in a bear hug…and kisses. Those that know Caden, know how he is about physical interaction with people he doesn't know, but there was no getting out of this hug. However, it was plainly obvious that this woman loves children and was going to love mine, and make sure he felt comfortable. She reassured him, and told him that everything was going to be okay. Turns out, she is going to be his Spanish teacher. She made a point of bringing kids over who are in his class, and introducing them. I'm going to like her. I also met another teacher, a 4th grade teacher, Melissa, who told me that Caden could hang out in her classroom with her kids after school, as he gets out 30 minutes before I do, and I'm going to be about 20 minutes away. Caden eventually became comfortable and actually began to have fun. We were sewing together these birds, called chochos, and donating them to be sold for charity, and the proceeds benefit children who are suffering from cancer.
I had no money on me, at all. I hadn't exchanged any dollars for pesos at the airport in Mexico City. Genius moment, I know. I'm so grateful for the hospitality; my director offered to loan me pesos to get things we need, until I get my finances straightened out.
I noticed my phone beeping at the restaurant, and realized that my phone had connected to wifi. My email and texts updated, and I tried to let Caden facetime with his dad, but he didn't answer. Matt tried to FaceTime me, but it didn't work, and then service was gone. *Poof*
After lunch, we walked back to the apartment, after unsuccessfully looking for a jar of peanut butter in a corner convenience store (which I think Joseph found quite hilarious that that was the one thing I thought we needed to get us by till our grocery store trip tomorrow).
He deposited us back at our new home, and I met two of my neighbors, both teachers at the school. One, Joanna, has a son who looks to be just a tad younger than Caden, and and older one, who will be in my class.
Feeling much more positive about things. Also, turns out the shower works just fine. I was told that sometimes the water runs out, so maybe that was the deal last night. Making a list of things we need/want as we are going in the the morning to the grocery store. Although the place is furnished with essentials, we definitely have a few things on the list. I am a lamp lover. Can't stand harsh, overhead lighting, so I've got to get a lamp for Caden's room, mine, and the living room. I think I gave away 12 lamps or so when I moved from my house in Venus. I may have an problem. We need a dirty clothes hamper. Something to put toiletry items in, in the the bathroom. There aren't any shelves in there. Towels and washcloths. (There is one towel, but I don't want to share) laundry detergent, and clothes pins for hanging our clothes out to dry. (Jolene, you'd love the rooftop for drying your clothes). There were hangers in the closet, but I need extra for Caden. And we need a couple more pillows. The beds are fitted with sheets, comforters and pillows, but they are those decorative pillow shams. I'd also love to get some chairs and a table for the roof, but we'll see, as we will have to take a taxi to get back home, not a moving truck. The walls are fairly bare, and I'd like to get something to make it a bit more homey. Need to get groceries. You know. The necessities. Coffee. Wine. Cheese. Peanut butter. Chocolate.
It's 6:15 pm, now. Caden is playing his ds. I'm sitting on the bed, typing. I can hear my neighbor's music like it's in my apartment, so I turned off my own because the combination was making me batty. Guess it's time to get used to Mexican music.
Thoughts: I wish I'd brought some of my Friend's dvds. I wish I'd figured out a way to get at least some of Caden's toys here. I'm nervous about work on Monday. I'm ready to be a month in so I can get over these jitters.
Hopefully, I'll get the internets at home, soon.
9:38 pm Saturday night
| around the corner |
| our front door |
| right across the street, and the source of the musica |
My phone connected to some random wifi connection, so I tried Cory again, and Caden got to FaceTime with him. My email updated and I got an email from Jolene saying that she was coming to Durango for two weeks…and she'd be here…TOMORROW. Holy crap! I got to FaceTime with Matt. I tried to text a few others, but realized they didn't have imessaging. Sorry to those of you who were expecting updates. It's hit or miss on the wifi. I may get a sim card for my phone tomorrow, while we are out running errands.
Walked back home with a slight chill in the air. Maybe it's about 67 or so, slight breeze. It really has been amazing weather. Made some turkey and cheese sandwiches, and took them to the roof. While eating on the roof, I came to the conclusion that Caden isn't allowed up there by himself. Ever.
It was a beautiful night.
Caden is bathed, and sitting in the chair in my room, playing his ds, while I sit on the bed, just across the room from him, and write. I can hear one of my neighbors strumming and singing on his guitar, I'm a creep. It's actually really good. He is also a teacher at the school. I live in what the Mexicans call "gringo-land". There are four apartments here, all occupied by gringo teachers. Our doors open up into a joint, tiled courtyard, blocked off by a locked, heavy metal door.
My plan is to get up early in the morning and head to a coffee shop that I saw earlier in the day. I'll take my computer and hope they have wifi access so I can upload all this to my blog. For now, it's off to shower, and then lights out.
Miss you
ReplyDeleteoooo you said crap.
ReplyDelete