For a bit there, I thought that perhaps Mexico wasn’t going to work out, due to multiple miscommunications with my school, and the fact that Caden’s passport took its sweet time getting here. We were originally supposed to leave for Mexico the first week of August, to get settled in before school started, so I could attend the week of staff development, set up my classroom, meet the other teachers, etc. Obviously, that did not happen. I was in the process of rethinking the whole thing, but the director of the school reassured me that he still wanted me there, even though we were obviously going to be a couple of weeks late to the party; said not to worry, they would cover my classes.
![]() |
| Durango, photos by Bill Bell |
Finally got his passport in, (after I paid to get it expedited,
six weeks into the process) sent it to immigration, along with an authenticated
birth certificate (that I had to drive to Austin to get, after the bc was returned
from the passport office), received our authorizations to apply for our visas from
immigration in Mexico, and went to the Mexican consulate in Houston yesterday. They issued our visas on the same day; it was
remarkably fast. And an eye opening experience on how much I need to brush up on my Spanish. By brush up, I mean completely relearn.
Came home and looked at plane tickets. Turns out the ones I originally bought were non-refundable but could be revalidated for 200 bucks per ticket, plus any change in fare.
Came home and looked at plane tickets. Turns out the ones I originally bought were non-refundable but could be revalidated for 200 bucks per ticket, plus any change in fare.
SO. We leave Friday.
Excited, nervous, overwhelmed.


I will miss you, Elle.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad we got to spend so much time together before you left.
Oh wait.
Thanks a lot, Matt.
wow it's happening. Please don't lose touch. I heart you~
ReplyDeleteBrinda (mom)
Glad it's working out for you Lauren, keep us in the loop.
ReplyDeleteBrinda, of course not, silly. And Ryan, I will.
ReplyDelete