Sunday, April 12, 2015

One year later



Well, it’s been a minute since I’ve updated this blog, so I thought I’d check in and let everyone know how the little gringo and I have been doing.

We are still living up here in the Pacific Northwest, near(ish) Seattle. This month marks a year since I left Tejas behind and road tripped up north. There have been many changes in our lives, but I guess that goes without saying. My grandfather did pass away from cancer last week. I still can't think of anything positive to pull from that just yet, but I'm working on it. I'm going to miss him. I already do.



Caden is happy and healthy. He’s been having a blast up here, exploring all there is to explore, and getting to know his Yankee relatives.  He is just about to finish up the 4th grade; it’s hard to believe he is going to be 10 in August. But,  I suppose that’s a common lament of all parents, everywhere. 

I am working as a Parent Educator for an exceptional program called Parents As Teachers. It’s one of the best jobs I’ve ever had.  It’s a mix of social work and education…so a break from the traditional classroom, but I’m still teaching, just in a different format.  I work for a nonprofit organization, and get to wear many hats- from teaching parenting classes, to doing case management for pregnant and new mothers. It’s fulfilling, and heartbreaking, exciting, and draining, all at once. Kinda like teaching.  I do miss being in the classroom, sometimes, but am really enjoying the break. I’m sure I’ll REALLY miss it this summer, which will be the first summer in 6 years I'll have to work...


PNW sunrise



Living here is the opposite of Texas & Mexico, quite literally. It's a change, getting used to the constant wet. It's true, there are a good deal of rainy and gray days up here, but let me tell you: the beautiful days make it worthwhile. Those who have lived here for years may not see it that way, but I suppose that's the beauty of being a visitor. (I still feel like a visitor...I wonder when that changes? Will we stay anywhere long enough to figure it out?)






Smith Rock, in Oregon



We explored a little bit of Oregon over the summer, and a little bit of Washington, here and there. I did go to Germany in February, and that was a little bit of magic…who knows, maybe I’ll end up teaching there next year.

So needless to say, our travels have calmed down after Mexico, and our move. However, our adventures are definitely not over, by any means; we are just standing still for a bit. 

in Bavaria, Germany
I’ll keep ya posted.








PS- That director was fired. :) 







2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the good, was the gift of love and family grumpa left all of us. He was my friend and stepfather for over 40 years. I loved him and miss him. Enjoy the beauty of your surroundings and hold close those who love and cherish the strong, beautiful, and intelligent woman you have grown to become. I love and miss you and Caden and plan to see both of you soon. Your father and biggest fan, dad.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you stopped by!