Friday, October 11, 2013

Q&A


I’ve had so many questions thrown my direction, I’m gonna answer a few.

Are you homesick?
Generally speaking, no.  I grew up in a military family, traveling constantly; we never stayed in one place for very long. I’ve lived in too many states to count and spent part of my childhood in Germany. I think, because of this, I’m able to adapt, and I don’t get too attached to people or places. I’ve never experienced true homesickness, I don’t think, in part because I’ve never really been able to call somewhere “home” for too long.  (Culture shock and homesickness are very different animals). I mean, Seattle/ Port Angeles would be the closest to home, for me, and I’ve really only lived there on and off, for about a year (at least during my adult life.) It’s true, at least, at the moment, that I eventually want to settle down in the Seattle area, and go back to school, but you know what they say about plans. (they?)


So, in short, I miss certain conveniences that are easily afforded in the US, (like decent tap water and pedestrian right-of-ways), but I’m not homesick. 
I found these in the international section of Soriana.
Sadly, they had dust on them.

Are you happy with your decision?
My answer to this varies on a day-to-day basis. Some days, I want to pack all my shit up, and head back to the states, but the thing is, is that frustrations are everywhere. I just have to decide which frustrations are worth dealing with, in the grand scheme of things.  I want to travel. I want adventure. I want Caden to experience life outside of the confines of the U.S., and broaden his mind.  Some days, I’m shocked at how overwhelmingly content I feel. It’s like anywhere. Some days are good. Some days are bad. Right now, at this moment, I am happy. Life is slower, here. People look at their phones less. They enjoy each other's company more. It’s nice.

it's like i live in a painting

How are your new students different from your old ones?
There are quite a few differences, and of course, many similarities. After all, kids are kids, right? One of the biggest differences I’ve noticed, is that at this school, education is valued.  More of them like to read.  The girls spend a lot less time in the bathroom, primping and concerned about their looks. They are little more care-free, it seems. They seem younger than the students I taught in Texas; twelve year-olds actually look like twelve year-olds. It’s refreshing. They are willing participants in all things school-related and full of school pride. There are little to no behavior problems in the classroom.  And they are all extremely family-orientated. How are they the same? They love music. They love to watch American tv shows. They are ultimately good kids.

Granted, this school is an expensive, exclusive private school. The school I came from was most definitely not a private school. Does money make all the difference? Based on my observations, I would say it makes quite a bit of a difference.  Hardly fair, but I guess that’s life.

                                                                                     How is Caden, really?

Caden is adjusting well. He is very resilient,  and generally, a happy kid, although he definitely has his moments, where he misses his dog and sleepovers with Mama and Tanner.  Other than being overly dramatic at times, he is fine. It's been just the two of us for most of his life, so as far as our day-to-day life goes, not a whole lot has changed for him, other than location. We've never lived super close to our family, and even when we were only an hour away, I was still a single-mom, and a teacher, so our lives really revolved around each other, for the most part.  (I interviewed him for the blog and will post his q&a session later.)






What/Who do you miss the most?
Hellman’s mayonnaise, Sadie and the ability to go to the grocery store
without having an anxiety attack.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know you stopped by!